SPECIAL PROJECT SESSION 4. "POSITIVE ENERGY ROADS"
Oct. 8, Tuesday. 16:00-17:30
Conference Room A
Chair: Mr. Richard CHARPENTIER, General Manager, Major Highways Projects, Ministry of Transports of Quebec, Chair of Project Oversight Team for PIARC Special Project PER
The Session will present the outcomes and finding of the PIARC Special Project 2019 "Positive Energy Roads" (PER) which will be published for first time during the Congress.
The need for PER is discussed in relation to the role infrastructure has to play not only in maximising the benefits of the investment made (e.g. addressing local needs, ensuring accessibility and affordability, supporting economic growth) but also in minimising negative impacts such as pollution and release of greenhouse gases. A first definition of PER is as a road infrastructure which makes a positive contribution to the total energy cost of road infrastructure.
Presentation of PIARC Special Project "Positive Energy Roads"
• Mr. Martin LAMB, Director, Maple Consulting Ltd.
Case study with high TRL: Road-based electricity generation schemes in Victoria, Australia.
• Dr. Helen MURPHY, Chair of PIARC TC E.2, Australia
Case study with low TRL: potential future technologies for PER
• Mr. Thierry SEDRAN, IFSTTAR, France
Questions & Answers / Debate
• Audience and all speakers
Summary & Conclusions of the Session
• Mr. Richard CHARPENTIER, General Manager, Major Highways Projects, Ministry of Transports of Quebec, Chair of Project Oversight Team for PIARC Special Project ERS